Build Diary: 1/144 HG Try Burning Gundam

Thank you to Gundam Mad for selling me this kit, as well as the next two kits that are currently on the way - god, that latest restock had some absolute stonkers, didn't it?

I know I've gone on about that promotional Goku Figure-Rise, but screw it. I'm bored, I'm disappointed from a change in family plans, I've got a whole weekend ahead of me, a tiny bit of a backlog, and a desire to carefully watch my spending after the latest two kits I've ordered. And I can't exactly do two Dragon Ball kits in a row, especially not with one as simple as that particular Goku kit. Maybe I'll get around to it when my life is free of enough stress so that I'll livestream building it, but for now, screw it - let's build a Gundam.

It's actually occurred to me, I've never built a Build Fighters kit before. Certainly more than a handful of Build Divers kits, but not from the series that came before it. Weird.

Anyway, this is similar to one of the kits I saw recommended in the Channel 2S video that got me into this hobby. In a similar vein to the Build Burning Gundam, the thing that sticks out the most is the lack of weapons, while making up for it with a whole ton of effect parts, posability and enjoyable simplicity in the build process. So let's see if that's indeed true.

Right at the top, they've put the aforementioned effect parts. And they look gloriously spicy! Actually, the colour variety in general is really nice. There's some vibrant reds, some beautiful transparent blues, and some yellow/dark blue accents on the smaller runners.

Body







It's weird that the vertical inner structure of the transparent blue chest piece is fully visible, but I can excuse it seeing how even in-universe, this is a model kit.



Head



Arms





Make sure both sides of this long transparent blue part click in flush in the back of the white armour. I eased it into place with the back of my tweezers.




The transparent blue tip sticking out of the shoulder doesn't seem to fit in easily, but that's by design. A lot of the parts on this kit are designed to be removable thanks to the flame effect parts.




Not so keen on the join between the shoulders and the torso, but I'll roll with it.

Legs










For whatever reason, the upper leg armour has some tiny red stains at the top, and it was like this when it was on the runner. I can't possibly think what it would be, the closest I can think is my brown panel marker, but that usually doesn't go anywhere near white parts on my desk. No matter, there's another part to build before attaching the legs.

Waist







Well that's a nice-looking Gundam. In fact, let's give the posing a go.




God, this is such fun.

But there's one more thing I'd like to add, and that's the flame effects. Right from the start, I've wanted to display this Gundam with these on. Most of these are moulded in a much more rubbery plastic than the transparent blues.


How fitting that I finish this kit during a weekend with a 28-30°C heatwave.

But yes, I had fun with this one. Not just with the building, but also with the posing. Which yeah, comes with the territory when it comes to Gundams based on the interior contents of Chez Kasshu, but I'm much more about displaying than posing and even I had tons of fun trying out the articulation with this kit. Not too complex to build, just so long as you take note of which parts are meant to be detachable so you can swap the effect parts around easily and don't get PVA in the wrong places. I can't say how easier of a start it is than the version from the previous Build Fighters, but it's a nice and simple High Grade, and that's all most builders can ask for, really.

Stay safe and keep clipping, folks!


The Good

+ Nice colour scheme
+ Brilliant articulation
+ Flame effect parts look wonderful
+ Simple build

The Bad
- Swapping the armour with the flame effect parts comes at the cost of some loose fits
- No accessories, unless you count the different hands and effect parts

Build Experience: A

Completed Kit Rating: A

Comments