Build Diary: 1/144 RG OZ-00MS Tallgeese EW

Thank you to Forbidden Planet for selling me this kit.

Well...we're coming full circle back to where this blog started and building another Zechs Merquise mobile suit. Maybe not one as flashy as the Epyon, but striking in its own way.

I immediately notice not only the different subtle shades of white as one might expect from a Real Grade, but also the fact that the E runners have a really shiny finish. I'm looking forward to seeing those parts in context!

Leg Units

It's interesting that the pre-moulded parts on the ABS runner are a lot smaller and less limb-like than they usually would be. This was 8 months after the RG Unicorn Gundam came out, so this could very well be one of the last occurrences of such an inner frame. I think. I dunno, I'm a little picky when it comes to kits in general, Real Grades especially.








There's some small foil stickers that go behind certain parts of the leg inner frame. I'd imagine these are visible when bent into certain positions, but regardless, they're kind of awkward to attach. Especially the ones numbered 13 - they require the back to be exposed until the other side of the leg fastening from the G runner is attached, and I keep thinking I'm scrunching them when putting the leg together. I don't think I am, but it's weird.





I was confused by the ankle armour at first, since it just sort of sits loosely on the foot. But after attaching the leg armour, the manual says to pull it up to secure it in place, so that explains it. And it stays there pretty securely, so that's good.




Wow, bending the leg has the knee armour separate on its own, I love when Real Grades do this!

Waist Unit









The side-skirts actually fit into the holes on the outer sides of the legs via these tiny pegs that fold out. They don't seem to click into the legs though, or at least the manual doesn't say they do. Eh, it's not a big deal, it seems like the sort of thing that can easily be tilted back if they fall out.

Chest Unit










I think this is probably the only Mobile Suit I've worked on where the cockpit hatch is on the back.



And it was on finishing the chest that I decided to start putting the decals on.

Arm Units









Head Unit





Between the tiny eye sticker and the rather loose faceplate, this is an annoying head to put together. I had to PVA one side of the eye sticker down just to keep it from coming off.


Backpack Vernier Unit













I don't like the way the vernier joints are handled - everything else about this kit feels really solid, but the side flaps on the backpack verniers feel rather loose, especially on the left one. But whatever, the actual Tallgeese looks nice once I've got it properly balanced with the backpack attached.

Weapons
















And I'd say that's about it. I mostly enjoyed building the Real Grade Tallgeese, even if it isn't without its fiddly bits or awkward end results. But if you've dipped your toes into Real Grade kits before and want something outside the scope of your average Gundam...well, I'd say go for the Sazabi and Eva Unit 01 first, but if you stumbled upon the Tallgeese, I'd say you're not in bad hands at all.

Stay safe and keep clipping, folks!


The Good

Interesting mixture of pre-moulded ABS parts and individual parts for the inner frame

+ Shiny finish on some of the runners looks really nice

+ Satisfying mechanical details

+ Feels mostly solid


The Bad

- Some of the foil stickers on the inner frame are awkward

- I don't really understand the tiny pegs that connect the side-skirts to the outer legs

- Head assembly has too many weak points

- Backpack vernier hinges are really loose


Building Experience: B
Completed Kit Rating: B


Comments