Build Diary: RG RX-93-v2 Hi-v Gundam

It's not every day you get Gunpla from a duty-free store, is it?

Yes, really. One of the last things I bought during my holiday in Japan was past security at Haneda Airport, and there was quite the surprising selection of Gunpla there. Even some pretty hefty kits like the HG Kshatriya. And, of course, this one - the most hilariously-overpowered unit in a turn-based strategy game this side of a Disgaea compilation (yes, I know the Hi-Nu was originally from a novel, don't @ me).

I've actually built the original Real Grade Nu Gundam before, so I have something to compare this novel-based counterpart to as I go. But I can't really do that until I get started now, can I?



















I find it amusing that the leg assembly is all "X2"s for each step of the way, and the only thing differentiating the left from the right is which direction the top joint is pointing.









Decided to start putting the decals on while I had easier access to each part than normal.






























The head assembly was rather awkward - the transparent core part doesn't stay secure on the two parts that follow until encased in the armour. And for some reason, the front head camera is only mentioned on the sticker list on the back, and it's covered up by the crest and the horns. That's an odd design decision, and I'm thankful that I've been adding the stickers as I go this time.






























Fitting the funnels into the backpack wasn't as easy as it sounds - the friction between them and the backpack slots doesn't seem like it's quite enough, and getting the funnels to stay all the way closed seems to be an exercise in futility. But on the other hand, I prefer this setup to the way that the vanilla RG Nu Gundam looks.

Actually, I prefer this look in general - a wider, more symmetrical design that still carries the same glorious menace of the original while having its own distinct look. This version in particular may not have the subtle colour transitions of the Ver.Ka, but given that the Ver.Ka accomplished that with decals as opposed to differently-coloured parts, that might be a blessing in disguise.

Stay safe and keep clipping, folks!

The Good

Feels less fragile than its anime-canon RG counterpart

+ Subtle metallic accents are pleasing to the eye

+ Repetition of assembling the second arm/leg doesn't set in as much as it normally does

+ Internal mechanisms in places like the knees and funnel holders are a nice touch

+ I like that cannon on the right wrist


The Bad

- Head assembly is fiddly even for a 1/144 kit

- It's back-heavy enough to necessitate an action base, unless you settle for propping it up with the bazooka

- I'm not very confident in the connections between the funnels and the backpack


Building Experience: B
Completed Kit Rating: A

Comments